Friday, April 5, 2013

MUSIC REVIEW: "The Midsummer Station" by Owl City


            You guessed it; I’m branching out. (Finally.)
            I normally try to stay away from reviewing music. (Yeah, I know, the title implies I will, so here’s my first spin at it. Shut up.) However, this one came out, and I knew that one day—one day—I would get my icy little hands around its throat and squeeze the life out of it. How I’ve longed for this.
Sadly, the reverie of the cover does NOT deliver.
            And I will savor every moment.
            Up next: Owl City’s The Midsummer Station.
            I’ll admit it. When I heard this was coming out a mere year after All Things Bright and Beautiful, I nearly floated into the “Ponderosa canopy” on “sugar-maple wings” and lived in expectant ecstasy until I could buy it. Then Owl City put out Shooting Star – EP to give us a taste of what was to come. That’s when my hesitation began.
            I had previously read an article that Adam Young—Owl City, by name—was collaborating with other writers in Station to put forth “new sounds.” While I dig artists in any field stretching their sugar-maple wings and trying out new stuff, I didn’t really know what to expect from this one. So when I started listening to Shooting Star I could automatically sense the difference in Young’s style. You know why? It wasn’t his.
            Or, at least, not totally.
            My previous love of Owl City came from Young’s imagination taking over and painting such vivid pictures you could taste very color on the canvas (yes; TASTE the COLORS). His view of everything being possible rang true with me. He held coal, squeezed a fist, and brought forth a diamond.
            Now he’s bringing forth crap.
            Big—heaping—piles.
            To begin, The Midsummer Station is . . . bland. Say you wake up in the morning after a great night with friends and family and you sit down to breakfast. Your favorite person in the world is serving you the morning meal that you’ve been smelling the entire time you’ve laid in bed. The platter sits beyond your reach under a fancy silver dome, and you wait and wait and wait. And when all the smells in the kitchen, all the aromas of deliciousness, all the signs of cooking, all the delectability of this labor of love is given to you in hints of what’s coming, the dome is finally pulled up, and instead of something along the lines of this: 
Mmmmmmmmmmm.....
            You get this:
I would like to NOT venture a guess as to what
is next to the toast...
            Yep. Shooting Star was promising. Station died.
            Not only are the songs completely nondescript, they reach beyond the area of pop and fall into a vat so cheesy, so fluffy, so full of hot air that you just want to die. And not because Adam Young sucks. Far from it! Because he’s SO MUCH BETTER than what these people wanted him to write. (Which, in essence, is corn-poop.) And he went along with it. (Shame on you, Adam Young.)
            The first track, “Dreams and Disasters” pretty much sets the tone for the entire album: blah, yawn, repetitive, okay, average. Nothing spectacular, nothing imaginative, nothing crazy-vivid. I cannot taste the colors, Adam Young. Where are the colors??? WHERE?
            The following tracks are “Dreams and Disasters” with different lyrics and a bit of a varied sound, but remain the same in content:
-          Shooting Star (2)
-          Gold (3)
-          Dementia (4)
-          I’m Coming After You (5)
-          Speed of Love (6)
-          Good Time (7)
-          Embers (8)
-          Bombshell Blonde (13, I think this is an iTunes bonus track)
That being said, let me move on to my REALLY BIG problems with Station, track by abominable track.
The first abomination would be “I’m Coming After You.” Let it be noted that this song sounds like a stalker going after his or her target. Let it be dually noted that when played at half-speed, this stalker sounds like a 55-year-old pedophile in a car chasing his underage victim. Instead of imagining an underwater Ferris wheel that is part of an underwater city just off “Umbrella Beach,” or a space station ready to launch its new mission-centered crafts into the “Galaxies,” this is what I see:



            Point taken?
"Bad Time," by Owl City,
Featuring Tommy Pickles!
            Next, the track I completely deleted out of my iTunes: “Good Time.” (I can’t even stand myself for writing its name.) This song, besides being inherently out of place on an Owl City album (and being inherently STUPID), fills the mind with nonsense and is so mind-numbingly fluffy, I thought I’d fallen into a melted puddle left by a ghost-busted Stay-Puft Man. Not only THAT, but this song is SO REPETITIVE, it’s like having a record skipping in your head FOREVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER-EVER. And also, Tommy Pickles stars as the guest artist. (Oh, wait, that’s Carly Rae Jepsen? Huh. Doesn’t really make a difference in sound, now, does it?)
Disgusting...
            The last abominable track: “Bombshell Blonde.” Now, if you didn’t buy this album on iTunes, there’s a good chance you won’t have it, because I think it’s an iTunes exclusive, though I can’t find anything to prove that. If you know what song I’m talking about . . . weep with me.
            Never before has Adam Young strayed into such territory as this. I would expect something like this song from, say, Katy Perry, One Direction, Taylor Swift, Carly Rae Jepsen (you know, bands without brains or talent) . . . but not the masterful artist that Young grew into when he peaked at All Things Bright and Beautiful. Ear-garbage of such magnitude really does not please this Owlette. For example, compare the innocent comedy of “Deer in the Headlights” to the really rather risqué lyrics of “Bombshell Blonde.”

“Met a girl in the parking lot/and all I did was say hello/her pepper spray made it rather hard/for me to walk her home/but I guess that’s the way it goes/Tell me again was it love at first sight?/when I walked by and you caught my eye/didn’t you know love could shine this bright/well smile because you’re the deer in the headlights”
(“Deer in the Headlights,” All Things Bright and Beautiful)

“That blonde, she’s a bomb, she’s an atom bomb/rigged up and ready to drop!/Bad news, I’m a fuse and I’ve met my match/so stand back she’s about to go off/That vixen, she’s a master of disguise/I see danger when I look in her eyes/she’s so foxy . . ./Her love is a drug laced with ecstasy . . ./A hot mess in a dress gets the best of me/She’s ice cold but she’s making me melt”
(“Bombshell Blonde,” The Midsummer Station)


            So! Had enough yet?

            The only crumbs that save this album are “Silhouette,” which brings us back to the stuff that Adam Young USED to serenade us with, “Metropolis,” which makes me think of a storyline I’ve got in the works, and “Take It All Away,” which reminds me I was born in the 90s, the era of the boy band. These three tracks are executed nicely, but everything else? This:


            Instead of this:
            Gee, you would have thought that the MAJOR SUCCESS of Ocean Eyes and the severely, critically, massively acclaimed success of All Things Bright and Beautiful would have tipped Adam Young off that he was doing something right. I guess NOT.

            The Midsummer Station gets 1.5 sour notes out of 5. (The .5 comes from the crumbs.)

No comments:

Post a Comment